The beginning of the year is a time for looking back and celebrating your victories, as well as looking ahead for ways to learn from past mistakes. Not only is this the first step towards self-improvement, but it can also be a great first step towards home improvement!
What does your house need?
Whether your home is old or new, there is no end to the work it takes to keep it looking and functioning at an optimal level. The simplest way to motivate yourself and ensure that the necessary work is done in a timely manner is to make a list of New Year’s resolutions for your home.
The following are a few important elements that you might wish to add to your list:
- Begin the brand new year by insuring your home against any unforeseen circumstances, if you have not done so already.
- Create a budget specifically for home maintenance and repair to ensure that you have the necessary financing when you may unexpectedly need it.
- Replace the batteries in your smoke detectors and install carbon monoxide detectors to keep you and your family safe.
- Eliminate drafts to keep your house warm and cozy while winter storms are raging outside.
- Consider waterproofing and insulating your basement to prevent flooding and heat loss.
- Check your roof and your water drainage system, i.e., the rain gutters, for any damage and repair it as soon as possible.
- Think of ways to decrease your energy costs and increase property values – upgrade your lighting, your HVAC system, your windows and doors, and much more!
- Evaluate your home for imperfections, such as peeling paint, outdated flooring, etc. Then, consider whether you need a minor repainting or repair job or a full renovation.
- If you had trouble making room for overnight holiday guests this year, consider building a home addition to be used as a guest room.
- If you are planning to sell your home in the coming year, look for ways to improve your curb appeal.
Lacking the proper knowledge and/or equipment to undertake some of the larger projects? No problem! The experts from Norseman Construction & Development are here to help homeowners across the Greater Toronto Area with any and all of your home improvement needs.
Please contact us for a free consultation today, and let us help you start 2016 with total peace of mind!